Money Makin Mitchler: Between Interviews

Yesterday, I had a phone interview with a company I met at Career Expo. Bonus for you if you keep reading: questions asked and how to prepare for the follow-up, on-site interview.

Here are some basic questions I have found are staples in all interviews, and yesterday was no exception:

  • Why did you choose Auburn?
  • Why do you think your major is a good fit for you?
  • Describe an experience where you have had a goal to meet, and how you met that goal.
  • What is your biggest weakness?
  • What makes you think you would be a good fit for this position?
  • Where do you see yourself five years from now?

I have learned to think about these questions before going into an interview because they’re bound to come up, and my answers for these questions differ based on the position I am interviewing for. (I definitely do not want to be caught off guard by “What is you biggest weakness?” and be mumbling around for an answer.) It looks better to have thought about these questions ahead of time so I can be quick and confident with my answers.

My interview went really well yesterday, and I have another interview with the same company in a couple of weeks. Now, I have to carry the momentum from this initial interview to the next, so it goes just as well. Here is what I'm doing:

  • A LOT of research about the industry, company and specific position for which I am applying
  • Studying any documents or websites the employer has directed me to view
  • Putting together my list of questions
  • Setting-up an appointment with a career counselor to see if I've missed anything

Preparing well for interviews can take you a long way in your job search, so make sure you do!

Resources:

Money Makin' Mitchler '10

No comments: