Money Makin' Mitchler: The Final Blog

My job search has come to a conclusion, and for my final blog I thought I would share specifically what I think has helped me the most in the job search process.

  1. Getting an internship. I have interviewed for many companies over the last semester, and I have found that the one thing they are looking for is experience. If you have experience in the industry that you are applying for, you have proven that you have the ability to work in that industry. Companies love when a candidate has an internship in their field.
  2. Using resume/interviewing resources at CDS. Around this time last year, I had no idea how to write a cover letter or resume, let alone interview for a career. Then I began using CDS. Now I am confident when I send in a resume or cover letter that I am presenting something that is professional and effective. I would have been completely lost in my job search without help from CDS.
  3. Tiger Recruiting Link (jobs.auburn.edu). I have had several interviews with companies that posted jobs on TRL this semester, and eventually found a job there. This is an extremely valuable resource that CDS offers to students, and should not be overlooked. During my job search I checked TRL daily to see if there were any new job postings I qualified for. TRL got me a job, and it can you one too!
  4. Communicating well. One thing I have found employers are looking for are great social and communication skills. A well written cover letter or email can go a long way in proving yourself to an employer. They know that even if a candidate is brilliant, it’s worthless if they cannot communicate well. Be professional in every aspect of your life, and you can expect good results.
  5. Determination. As we all know, the job market is terrible right now. Getting a job is not going to be easy, but if you have the will you can secure a job out of college. You may go through many interviews that do not result in finding a job, but if you are well prepared and determined, you will end up with one.
I wish everyone luck in their own job search, and hope I have provided some helpful advice this year!
War Eagle.

Brad Mitchler '10

No comments: