Top Tips: Avoid These Resume Bloopers

I may be preaching to the choir but please, please, please avoid appearing on someone’s list of top resume bloopers by following these tips. Some of the bloopers listed are from my personal experience and others come from Job Mob’s list of the top 150 resume bloopers.

Read over your statements for other possible meanings:
Cooked and cared for a child all day long”
“I’m working today in a furniture factory as a drawer

Make sure the words you are using fit the meaning of the statement:
Escalated customer complaints to the appropriate departments”
“Instrumental in ruining entire operation for a Midwest chain store”

Only include achievements related to your career goals:
“Nominated to homecoming court in 9th grade
“Able to say the ABCs backward in under five seconds”

Check for typos that won’t be flagged by spell-check:
“Seeking a party-time position with potential for advancement”
“Consistently tanked as top sales producer for new accounts”
Languages: “Speak English and Spinach

Don’t exchange ambition and enthusiasm for strangeness:
“I always dreamed of being a Disney princess, but not all dreams can come true so now my dream is to be a physical therapist.”
“I am a wedge with a sponge taped to it. My purpose is to wedge myself into someone’s door to absorb as much as possible.”


Find more top resume bloopers at: Job Mob

No comments: