Student Perspective: Type Focus...What's That About?


 
Come on guys, let’s face it. We’ve all debated whether or not our career and/or major choices are the “best fit” for us. We want a career in which we will be happy, never lose interest, and excel immensely. Did you realize there is a tool to help us identify such a match?
 
On the Career Development Services website, under the Students Tab, there is a link to various assessments. I used TypeFocus first for a number of reasons. It is...
  • Free!
  • A reliable and valid instrument in determining personality type (similar to Myers-Briggs Indicator).
  • Short...and only took around 15 minutes.
I initially took TypeFocus to fulfill a class assignment, but I quickly recognized the advantages, and proactively used the career research section (which wasn’t required) as well. The assessment results actually identified careers that typically align with my personality type, and researching those careers allowed me to identify a major that fit my outgoing, imaginative, and compassionate personality…thus, I have landed in public relations.
 
The assessment helped a lot, but scheduling an appointment with a career counselor to discuss my results provided additional insight and helped me develop a plan to further explore my results.
 
I encourage you to call (334.844.4744) and set-up an appointment for an interpretation. If you just want to learn more about the assessments, just walk-in, Monday through Thursday, noon to 4 p.m. or Friday, noon to 2 p.m.
 
These services are free because you have already paid for them through your student fees so take advantage of AU Career Development Services. Trust me. You’ll be glad you did.
 
Author: James Miller '13

No comments: