Auburn Student Job Search ... Getting Started


If you’re like me, the beginning of every semester is an anxiety-filled time. With new books, teachers and  responsibilities come new goals, time commitments and stresses. But in addition to all these normal stresses, this is the beginning of my senior year, and already I’m thinking: What job do I want? Is it even attainable? How in the world will I ever find out about such things? 

On one hand, I calm myself thinking, "It's August. I have nine months until graduation." But the next moment, I'm anxiously thinking, "I ONLY have nine months to find options, apply, interview and get that amazing job!"

One of the things I’m DOING to ensure I am ready to begin the job-hunting process is why I am blogging right now: I am the newest intern at the Auburn University Career Center. Therefore, step one in the job-hunting process begins with gaining experience as an intern.

One of the first things I did as an intern (and as an applicant) is familiarize myself with the Career Center’s website. I was completely blown away at the resources! It is definitely the densest website I’ve come across, which can be intimidating, but here is this week's favorite: 

Career Assessments 

I took TypeFocus (It's free...so why not take it?!) and the Strong Interest Inventory (It costs $30.). These assessments were incredibly helpful, and somehow figured out my personality perfectly. For example, the TypeFocus assessment told me I am an ENTJ (Extroversion, INtuition, Thinking, Judging). Here is a brief description:
 
Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.

This description is ME. It is so odd to see yourself described so well in a paragraph, but that is what happened. I then met with a career counselor to talk through how this information can be used to identify various career fields I am well-suited for or even use it to better articulate my strengths (and weaknesses) to a potential employer.

So, now it's your turn. Check out the available assessments...here.

Paige Robinson '12
Auburn University Career Center Intern

No comments: