Student Perspective: The First Application


A monumental occasion happened last week. I applied for my first “big girl” job. I’m not going to lie; I was intimidated. I can’t even tell you why I was intimidated though. I’ve posted my resume, filled out an application and interviewed before, but this time it just seemed different.

This time the job was real, not just for the summer months. And it is a job, not an internship. This is and could be what I do after college. To say the least, I was freaking out a bit on the inside, but then I caught myself and asked, “Why?” Why should I be worrying? What is there to lose? Right now I’m without a career, so it’s not like I can have less than a career.

I think this anxiety is plaguing the senior class at Auburn University. None of us have realized that the future is not something to be afraid of. We’ve known for years that this is how it goes: graduate from high school, go to college, graduate from college, get a job.

After 17 years of school, the idea of not studying is a little weird, but it’s also pretty awesome. Next year, I won’t be studying for tests or emailing professors. I’ll be working toward what I’ve always wanted to do. The preparation stage is ending, and the implementation stage is here. This should be more exciting than scary!

Soon-to-be graduates, come into the Career Center and get excited about your future! The career counselors have so much knowledge to offer and can get your resume and cover letter into shape. Each counselor is assigned to a specific college (connect to the liaison page here), so he or she will know how to help you specifically in your career search. They are the ones who calmed me the day I was anxious about applying for the job. Let them calm your nerves and get you on the fast-track to a career!

Paige Robinson '12
Career Center Intern

No comments: