Student Perspective: Five W's and H

Now that you have successfully developed your personal POA, or Plan-of-Attack, it is time to take a step back and think about the five W’s and H.

You may be wondering, “What are the Five W’s and H?” It is simply, the Who, What, Where, When, Why and How, to all your questions, as you prepare for a future career.

Five W’s and H:

WHO do I personally know that works within a potential company of interest?
WHAT position will I apply for?

  • Internship
  • Entry level job

WHERE would I like to work?
WHEN should I apply?
WHY would my experiences fit the job description?
and
HOW do I stand out from other applicants?

Additional W’s and H:

WHO do I want to work for in the future?
WHAT am I going to send?

  • Resume
  • Cover Letter
  • CV
  • Unofficial Transcripts
  • Recommendation letters
  • Thank you notes

WHERE would I like to live and be employed?
WHEN should I contact HR, Human Resources?
WHY would HR hire me for the position?
and
HOW do I remain in ‘good standing’ and land the interview?

As you see, it is important to examine the Five W’s and H. These are just the stepping stones to starting the application process and seeking a future career.

No comments: